Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken Tortellini Soup


Me and Sarah trying to stay dry in LA's version of a hurricane.
 What is the best thing on a rainy day when you get home from a soccer game soaked to the skin? A piping hot bowl of chicken soup. Here's what I threw together in about 30 minutes after getting home from our first LA Galaxy game. Suggestion: read through the whole thing first - I've included some tips and explanations at the end.

Erin's Rainy Day Chicken Tortellini Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
1 spring onion, sliced
5 oz mushrooms, sliced and divided in two portions
2 dashes oregano
3 dashes basil
1/2 cup white wine
4 - 6 oz. cooked chicken, shredded
1 box or 2 cans chicken broth (1 liter)
1/2 package frozen or fresh tortellini

In a large saucepan, warm oil over med heat until it's shimmery. Add garlic, spinach, onion, 1/2 the mushrooms and both spices. Sauté till spinach is wilted, onion is clear and mushrooms have shrunk to half their original size, 3-5 min. Add the wine and stir till wine is reduced by half. Add chicken, the remaining mushrooms and chicken broth. Turn up heat to med-high and stir a couple of times. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini and cook according to package directions. Serve soup when tortellini is done.

So simple! Here are my extra tid-bits that you may find helpful or just annoying:
1. I skipped the garlic pressing by using a garlic infused olive oil I picked up yesterday at We Olive.
2.The spinach and spring onion are from my bi-monthly delivery of organic produce from Farm Fresh To You (mention Erin Shead referred you for $5 off your first delivery). I meant to use the kale for this recipe, but grabbed the wrong leafy green and didn't realize till it was cut and sizzling.
3. The veggies are easily substituted. I'll try this with kale instead of spinach. You can use regular onions or leeks. I even sliced up a leftover cooked carrot and tossed it in with the chicken.
4. Dividing the mushrooms in two was not planned. I sliced up half of a 5 oz package, but realized it wasn't enough once they shrunk in cooking. So, I sliced up the other half and added it with the chicken. I really liked the variety of texture that added to the soup and will probably do it on purpose next time.
5. If you've never used wine in your cooking never fear. Unless a certain type is specified in a recipe, I use a cheap white we keep in the back of the fridge for such occasions. The brand doesn't matter. Just make sure it's not sweet (aka dessert wine).
6. This was my first time to shred chicken as opposed to cutting it. I had a filet leftover from a chicken piccata lunch last week. I tore it apart with two forks. It was fun and made it look like way more chicken than I had.
7. If you don't have chicken broth on hand (I buy it on sale because it keeps forever), you can make your own broth with 4 cups of boiling water and 4 bouillon cubes (chicken).
8. I don't like chicken noodle soup because the noodles tend to be soggy. Yuck! I came across... ahem, stole... the idea for adding tortellini to soup in some magazine. I think it's brilliant! Don't know how good it will hold up for left overs.
9. I didn't list salt or pepper because the chicken, broth and tortellini are already seasoned, but I did add a couple shakes of salt to the veggies when they were sautéing. I don't like bland veggies.

Well, today was a soggy experience (like those soup noodles), but we did get to see David Beckham play "in person" and I had a moment of culinary inspiration. Win-win. ;)

2 comments:

  1. So your culinary idiot friend decided to attempt this for supper this evening....
    I apparently shop at very limited stores. I couldn't find a spring onion at the store, but I found some shallots that sort of fit your description of a spring onion, so I used one of those. I also couldn't find a package of tortellini, so I had the hubby email me a picture of some (since I didn't know what tortellini looked like) so I bought a box of jumbo shells.
    On review, I noticed that also I forgot to add the garlic. I really didn't know how this would go, because generally, I don't like mushrooms.
    In spite of all my bumbling, I'm happy to report that your soup was a hit with both grown-ups and the five-year-old critic at our house! We like the textures and the flavors and the shells sort of stuff themselves in the cooking process, which were sort of fun to eat that way. Oh and it was actually easy to make - definitely a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I fully approve your substitution of shallots for spring onion. The shells are definitely more kid-friendly than the tortellini if they stuff themselves while cooking. Fun to watch and fun to eat!
    I'm so excited you tried it and even more that you all liked it!

    ReplyDelete