Thursday, April 28, 2011

Brown Guacamole - Yuck!

I got a side of guacamole to eat with some tortilla chips.  Though it was bright green when they dropped it in the sack, by the time I sat down to enjoy it at my cubicle, all the little airpockets had started turning brown.  Fortunately, I thought to grab a few lemon wedges from the drink station when I got my fork and napkins!

So, here's the tip: squeeze some lemon juice into your guacamole to keep it from turning brown.
Ratio: 1-2 tsp lemon juice / 1 cup of avocado (guacamole)

I don't know exactly how lemon juice delays the oxidation.  It's got something to do with how the ascorbic acid from the lemon juice (or any other fresh citrus juice) interacts with the oxygen in the air.  My friend Mandy the science gal could probably explain it. 

I do know that this works on all fruits that turn brown when exposed to air -- yes, avocado is a fruit, as are tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, etc.

The lemon wedges they serve with iced tea and water come in very handy when I want to take home my guacamole without it turning brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment